Skip to main content

Tutorial - Knotted Herringbone Stitch

I love herringbone stitch so I am always on the lookout for a new way to use it. When I came across this variation yesterday I thought I would share it with you.First of all, start by working a row of regular herringbone stitch. For this I used Gloriana Princess Petite Perle silk in a colour called Raspberry Parfait.


Next, you go back over the herringbone working the knots in a different thread, stitching from right to left. In this case I used a thicker metallic thread I received from Hideko in Japan. It is used for making temari balls and was just perfect for this. Since you are going to be sliding your needle under the "X's"and not piercing the herringbone threads, it is helpful to use a blunt tapestry needle for this step. Start at the top "X" on the right side by bringing your needle underneath the "X". Below the "X" you place your working thread over the end of your needle from right to left and then bring it back around under the needle from left to right. Tighten up the knot, leaving enough slack in the first leg of the metallic thread that it is loose enough not to just cover up the original leg of the herringbone. You want it to accent the herringbone, not obliterate it.
Now you move to the next "X" on the bottom and repeat the process. Bring your needle under the "X" and bring your working thread over the end of needle from right to left and back under the needle from left to right. Tighten up the knot a bit, leaving a bit of slack in the thread between knots.


Carry on repeating these two steps, moving from right to left and alternating top and bottom "X's". Here is a sample of the finished row of stitching.


Comments

Christy said…
Thanks for the blog follow Kerry! Thanks for sharing the stitching tutorial too!
Wendy said…
I really like this seam treatment. I too like the herringbone, so I will be using this on rr block this week. Thanks for inspiring all of us with new seam treatments.
Anonymous said…
It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …