Saturday, June 6, 2009

Inspiration for a Motif

I recently received my baggies from the Garden Swap at CQI and this little piece of vintage kimono silk jumped out at me right away, crying to be used. Isn't it gorgeous? Right away I knew I wanted to ues these little vases.
I picked out one of the vases, cut it out and attached it with my version of needleturn applique. I thought then I would start building a flower arrangement in it, starting with the growth in the background.

I thought some hanging growth would look good on the vase so started by creating "String of Pearls" hanging down on the front of the pot. The stems were done in stem stitch using one strand of DMC and the little round leaves by sewing down Mill Hill Antique beads of a nice gunmetal sort of green. I had planned to add ferns next, then baby's breath, and finally the poinsettias I keep tring to work onto this block.

When I had the String of Pearls plant stitched though I decided I liked it so much I didn't want to add any more plants to the vase.


Instead I finished it off with a little more growth peeking over the top of the pot and a few fallen leaves at the base. I am happy with it. I can still get a couple more vases from my little piece of fabric - sure wish I could find more of it!




1 comment:

Ann Flowers said...

WOW WOW WOW, Kerry that is absolutely AMAZING LOOKING. Gorgeous. I love how you took the vase and the growth you chose was so perfect. I love it. That is some very pretty fabric too. You are so very creative!!!!