Skip to main content

Pansies DYB Round Robin - Alice`s replacement blocks

Unfortunately, Alice`s blocks went missing in the mail in this round robin but, happily, Carolyn made replacements and we are working them up so Alice won`t miss out.  This first block is the block I stitched on for Alice.  As with all the DYB (Do Your Block) Round Robins at CQI, everyone in this round robin completely embellishes one six inch block for each person.  The beautiful ribbon pansy I added was made by Arlene in Australia - she has such a knack for making these beauties!  The velvet leaves underneath are from my spending spree at The Berry Patch in Colorado.  In the bottom left hand corner there is a sprig of roses - stem stitch stems and fly stitch leaves made from silk buttonhole thread and the blossoms are wonderful metal beads Ing shared at retreat.  I love the pansy printed fabric and followed Carolyn`s lead by buttonhole stitching around the flowers, this time using DMC cotton floss.  There is a small cross stitch motif in the upper right hand corner, made using waste canvas.  I simply had to add a button cluster because I had such fun buttons to use on it:  glass, pansy, mother of pearl, etc.  Other than that I did a couple of bead dragonflies and seam treatments using silk buttonhole thread and added some wonderful trim I bought from Colleen at retreat.

In this particular round robin, we all decided to share the stitching on the 6th block that would usually go home unfinished for the owner to stitch.  This way we end up with six finished blocks each instead of five.  This is the replacement shared block.  Carolyn led the way with the buttonhole stitching on the printed pansy fabric - I think she used rayon threads for this.  She also did the two seams on the right hand side of the block, one of which uses ric rac very cleverly.  I added the yellow and purple seam above the printed pansy fabric as well as another of Arlene`s beautiful ribbon roses.

This round robin is almost over now.  I only have Lisa`s blocks left to stitch on and then I will be done.  I am excited to see my blocks when they come home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...