Skip to main content

Away Knot Tutorial


To make an “away knot” begin by putting a quilter’s knot on the end of your thread.


Take your needle down through the top of the fabric some distance away from the beginning of your stitching as you can see above. The knot is on the left hand side of my stitching, on top of the fabric.



Finish your line of stitching and take your needle to the back of the fabric, then flip your fabric over so you can work at the back.


In this photo of the back of my stitching, you can see the long tail of the away knot. Secure your working thread by weaving it through the last three or so stitches.



Clip the knot from the front of your fabric and turn it over again to work on the back.


Rethread your needle with the tail you have left after clipping the away knot and now weave that thread through the back of the first three or so stitches and clip.

If you look now at the stitching, you will see that both ends of your thread are secured by weaving them through the back of stitches. The ends of your threads are not going to show up as shadows on the front of your work since they run directly underneath your stitching on top. Cross stitchers and other counted thread stitchers often use the away knot for this reason but it is a good practice for all embroiderers since it makes for a neater back and no shadows on the front.


Comments

Good one i like this tutorial post.
Thanks for share this with us,
Mosaic Magpie said…
So much nicer this way than a big old lump on the back of the fabric.
Thanks,
Debbie
Dianne said…
This is fabulous. Wish I had thought of it or known about it a long time ago. Thank you for showing how. Dianne.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...