Skip to main content

My pieces for the Puzzle Piece Swap


I am happy to be taking part in Pat Winter's Puzzle Piece Swap. Everyone taking part is making four puzzle pieces to a set size and shape in whatever form of mixed media artwork you like. What we receive back is four puzzle pieces made in different artforms from four different people all made in friendship. We will each get to put our little puzzles together for a wall hanging.


Of course all of my pieces just had to be crazy quilted. The first one, above, is an under the sea theme. I love detached buttonhole stitch so I used that to make some fish netting at the bottom. I added some starfish using whipped spider web stitch as well as a small seashell charm. The plant growth was made with feather stitch and couched ribbon. The fuzzy beige one was especially fun to do. It was a fuzzy ribbon and with a simple gathering stitch it became a very textural bit of seaweed.


This is the second piece I made and it is a more traditional bit of crazy quilting. There are two butterfly charms as well as a dangling fan charm. In the botom left corner patch there is a single oya flower. I attached a mother of pearl button with a tiny bead swag and some lace adorned with beads. All the tiny seams were fun to do.







The third puzzle piece is another under the sea one. There I used more feather stitch, some wispy yarn couched down and a tiny seahorse charm hiding in it. There is a fish charm swimming along and more woven spider web starfish. The last thing in the bottom corner is a piece of tatting that I think I have decided is some kind of coral.







The last puzzle piece is another more Victorian one. I started by adding a tiny silkie I had. There is a tiny blue crochet butterfly, some dyed lace flowers and a couple more of the tiny butterfly charms. Along with the stitched seamwork I used a tiny piece of gold braid trim on one seam.





This has been a lot of fun to do and I can't wait to see what I receive in return. If you would like to see more of the puzzle pieces being made for this swap, you can visit the Pieces of Friendship blog.

Comments

Jane said…
I've never seen anything like this before. What a fun swap. Your pieces are delightful
Judy S. said…
Love your puzzle pieces, Kerry!
Thank you!
Hugs,
Kerry

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...