Skip to main content

Beaded Feather Stitch

Several people had admired the beaded feather stitch that I enjoy using on seam treatments so I have decided to write up a little "how-to" on it. And since one picture is worth a thousand words I went a little crazy with the pictures!

So, you will need a beading needle for this stitch , some seed beads and thread. I like using Fireline now for the security of it but since it shows up better in the pictures I have just used regular DMC (one strand). I have used the floss on this seam many times in the past with no problems.


After securing your thread well on the back come up to the left of your seam and then thread six beads onto your thread. You can use more beads but the key is to make sure they are an even number (6, 8, etc).



To complete the first stitch you put your needle down to the right of where you came up and then come back up at the halfway mark a bit lower. Pull your thread through and then hold it between the two center beads. This is why you need an even number. With three beads on one side and three on the other it keeps the "V's" nice and uniform.
The second stitch is done the same way - after bringing the thread up and holding it in place in the center of the beads of the last stitch you thread on another six beads. Put your needle down directly to the right where you came up, go down to the right and come back up in the center below. Pull your thread through and hold it down through the space in the center of the beads - three on one side and three on the other.




Carry on the same way for the next stitch.












You now have three stitches stepping down and to the right - time to start working back to the left.




The next stitch is made in exactly the same way except you are moving downwards and to the left this time.







After making two stitches downward and to the left you have completed this leg. Time to head back to the right again.
Keep working back and forth in this way until you have a seam of the length you want.





You will find it helpful to use your thumb to hold the thread between the beads as you make each next step to keep it laying in the center where you want it.




Your seam is done - now just make sure you secure the thread well on the back of your work. Don't want the beads escaping! lol

This beaded feather stitch also looks very nice when worked back and forth only one stitch instead of as shown here. The previous post that had been commented favourably on was in fact made using one stitch to the left, one to the right, one to the left, etc.

There are a lot of the basic embroidery stitches we use that can easily be adapted to bead embroidery - this is just one. Have fun!

Comments

Diane said…
I've often wondered how this stitch was worked. Thanks for the instructions. I'll try it soon.
Diane
Anonymous said…
WOW, Susan, you always make everything look so easy! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. Now I'm no longer afraid to try this.
Wanda

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...