Skip to main content

Finished my part on Clairee's RR block

I finished up my seams and motifs on Clairee's round robin block. Next to the lace I added some of my very favourite ribbon. It blends with the colours of the block quite well. It is an organza ribbon with beaded and sequined roses on it - found it at my favourite trim and lace store in Calgary! I just attached it by clear beads here and there.
Well, this was my attempt at a herringbone motif. I attempted an embroidered paisley using all herringbone stitches. It looks a bit better in person than in the picture. The good news is it should frog out fairly easily if Clairee doesn't like it. If nothing else it was a learning experience. It was inspired by some of the TAST herringbone samplers.

I did a fairly simple mauve seam with lazy daisy (detached chain) stitch. In the little patch left between that and "monster seam" I sewed an oya on a bed of feather stitch greenery.
The lace motif I hand dyed to try to get a good colour combination for the block. I attached it with gold sequins and beads. Not really as happy as I could be with that but the mailing deadline is upon me so it stays.


Lastly, here is the block in its entirety after I stitched. There are three more to stitch after me in this round robin and it is heading out in the mail tomorrow to Meg. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone adds as the block goes around and how it ends up when it is finished. I'm also looking forward to the next block and being able to do something besides detached chain and herringbone! lol

Comments

PegSue said…
Love the coloers in this block. The lace motif looks like a delicate cameo. Your work is lovely. Hapy stitching. Peggy

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...