Skip to main content

Bluework Dishtowel

As they used to say on Monty Python... and now for something completely different!  I decided I wanted to make a dish towel and have just finished it today and would like to know what you think.  Would you hang it in your kitchen?  It's linen (I think or at least linen like fabric) and I put a decorative buttonhole stitch on three edges in blue over the rolled hem and the bottom side has a decorative pulled thread design.  The teapot I embroidered in matching blue DMC thread.


Well, maybe it is just as well if you don't want to hang it in your kitchen.  As you can see from the penny in the photo, it might be on the small side!  lol  This is my first foray into the world of needlework in 1/10 scale for miniature dollhouses.  Next I'll make another to match with a coffeepot embroidered on it instead and I'll have a pair.  I learned a lot on this first small project so I think the next one will go easier and quicker. 

My mother always told me that people would turn my needlework over to see the back - so in case you wanted to do that, here it is.  I think that this miniature needlework may be as great an obsession as crazy quilting!

Comments

Rachel said…
That's hair-raisingly small - well done!
I'm sure the second will be easier!
Mosaic Magpie said…
I wonder why our mothers were so obsessed with the backside of our work. I guess it did make us pay more attention to the details.
Debbie
Bellesanbeaus said…
Kerry your mini towel is awesome...one word of warning though...the miniworld is highly addicitive! I usually work in the 1/12 scale but anything mini I love! Have fun and enjoy! Big hugs Beth
Cathy said…
I'm anxious to see what you do in the small world. I just started building a Victorian doll house with the two gds who will be 6 yo soon. I bought it for them when they were born. By the time we get it wired for electrical and built they may be my age and able to do their own mini sewing for it! - Cathy L

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...