Skip to main content

More Details on the Dragonflies



As promised, here are some more details of the dragonflies on my beaded round robin block. This first one was tucked down in the right hand corner of the block and is constructed cleverly of leaf beads for the wings and a turquoise bead and two different flower beads for the head and body and mint green pearlized beads for the tail. The gold rose bead in the body matches the ones in the adjoining seam treatment as do the seed beads in the tail.



Here are #2 and #3. The magnificent turqoise dragonfly is housed in a perfectly beaded circle of four rows of beads. He has a beautifully beaded stem of flowers keeping him company. The body of the dragonfly is made up of larger blue beads separated by gold spacer beads. His wings are a light fabric appliqued down and then outlined around the edge by couched down gold. The veins on the wings appear to be stitched with gold blending filament or some other very delicate metallic thread.

Did you miss dragonfly number 3? He is a gold coloured charm dangling from the circle.


I wish my photo had been clearer of dragonflies 4, 5 and 6. The first is a little charm who is perched on the stem of Clairee's flowers.

The antique gold dragonfly is a real work of art - I have never seen anything quite like it! Here Gerry worked this patch all in golds and it really brings up the richness of the fabric. The wings on this dragonfly keep drawing me back. They are some kind of filigree jewelry findings, two for each wing. It is the combination of the two on each wing that makes it so perfect.

The mauve dragonfly appears to be flying downward. Perhaps he has sighted a mosquito and is moving in for a snack? His beautiful wings appear to be pieces of hand dyed lace appliqued down and then outlined in copper beads. The wings are beautifully textured with the veins of the lace showing through amid lines of more copper beads and almost transparent pale mauvey pink beads. Larger beads ranging from mauve to purple make up the body together with gold spacers.

What can I say about the seventh dragonfly? I am honoured to have received one of Gerry's delightful hand painted buttons! Isn't it amazing the tiny works of art she creates on these mother of pearl buttons? We were blessed at CQI to have received tutorials from Gerry on how to paint the buttons with roses, etc. Some of the members had nice success with it.


Numbers 8 and 9 are a pair of dragonflies - or is it a dragonfly and a damselfly? Rising out of the lovely beaded plant growth, this pair have the most interesting wings! I have to admit I have no idea how they are done but I know I love them!


The last dragonfly is nestled among Clairee's gorgeous purple flowers (why can I never find lovely beads like this in purple?) . The photo doesn't do justice to the sparkle of this one. I think it must have been a piece of jewelry at one time and it sparkles with rhinestones on the wings and of course the tail.

So, there you have it - ten beautiful dragonflies on one block! I know I showed off the whole block in my last post but I couldn't resist going into more detail. Hope you find it as interesting as I do.

I have decided to frame this block to hang in my home. It will take all my strength and willpower to walk into the framing shop and leave without it! Do you think my framer would mind if I just camped out in her parking lot til she is done with it? lol

Comments

Candi said…
How beautiful they all are!!! Thank you for sharing.
Hugz:)
Candi
Kathy Raker said…
They are all gorgeous. I love dragonflys.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...