Tuesday, February 28, 2012

TAST - Week 8 - Chain Stitch

Better late than never - here is my effort for last week's TAST which featured the chain stitch.  This motif is on a round robin block where the owner requested peacock motifs. I have been wanting to try my hand at a peacock feather since seeing the wonderful one Tanja Berlin created! I want to credit Tanja for the inspiration although the two feathers don't have a lot in common.  Someday I would love to make that one of Tanja's though!  Guess I'll add it to my bucket list.
Anyway, about this one I did.  The center eye is solid chain stitch worked around and around until I was dizzy, working with two strands of DMC floss.  Next I added a layer made up of a row of seed bead - bugle bead - seed bead.  From each set of beads I worked a line of chain stitch.  The spine of the feather is some gold cord  couched down and then there are more lines of chain stitch coming from that. I don't think I've ever used as much chain stitch as this before or in these ways so I feel like I learned a lot.   I am happy with the motif - hopefully the owner will be too. 

8 comments:

shawkl said...

Magnificent! I think this is one of the prettiest feathers I've ever seen stitched! Great work!
Kathy

Marilyn said...

Wow, your peacock feather is gorgeous Kerry. I'm sure the owner will love it.

gocrazywithme said...

Holy Mackerell, Kerry! That is gorgeous! Your chain stitches look so tiny and they have that textured look that each "hair" on a feather has. I can just imagine the beautiful white and gold peacock this feather came from!

Dianne said...

This is a lovely way to use the chain stitch. Your peacock feather has turned out beautifully.

Wendy said...

Hi Kerry, I absolutely love the peacock feather you have created on my block! Just stunning!

ARLENE said...

Absolutely stunning! May I ask if you did this freehand or used lines on your block?

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Hi Arlene! I basted a line around the center portion that is solid chain stitch in the shape I wanted. After that the rest was freehand.

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments! So, you recognized the block Wendy, eh? lol