Skip to main content

Potholders & Dishcloths


I surprised myself by actually finishing something to put away for gifting next Christmas.  So, this is my January contribution towards next year being a "homemade Christmas"!  I made three chenille potholders ...

...and two matching dishcloths.  These were fun and easy projects!  The dishcloths are nice and large and made from sugar sacks so should be good and absorbent.  I added a band of one of my favourite fabrics towards the bottom of each dishcloth and sewed a length of ribbon on each side of it on both on the top and bottom edge so that the raw edges of the fabric were caught in between.  Then I found matching trim in my stash and stitched it on top of the ribbon.  I added a loop to the top of each dishcloth and they were done.

The chenille potholders are very easy to do as well.  They are made of a sandwich of the featured fabric (face down for the back), two layers of insulating batting, five layers of colourful scraps of quilting cotton face up, topped with the featured fabric again, also face up. 

 Sew diagonal lines across the potholder sandwich, about half an inch apart, starting in the middle and working out on both sides.  You can see the lines of stitching here on the back of the finished potholder. 

Working on the front, clip along between all the lines of stitching, down as far as the last layer of quilting fabric before the batting.  So, you will have the fabric at the back face down, followed face up  by the batting, one layer of fabric and then all the rest to the top will be clipped.  At this point you add a matching binding and a loop if desired and the sewing is finished.  Once you wash the potholder, all the clipped portions will fray and puff up, giving you the chenille appearance.  Fun!

Comments

Barb said…
I love your potholders!
Arlene Delloro said…
I have to try the chenille. Thanks for the great explanation.
Suztats said…
That patterned fabric is really pretty, and finish off the tea towels nicely, along with the trims. Does the chenille effect mean the pattern on the fabric gets lost?
Unknown said…
You are so smart. Next Christmas will be so much more stress-free for you. I told my family that next year if we want to give gifts, to do hand made. I need to follow your example and start now.

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …