Skip to main content

Technology is not my friend! (Book Reviews)

My new internet hub gave up the ghost after only a month so I was stuck with no connection for a couple weeks until I could get to town to have the faulty cord replaced.  Frustrating to say the least!
Back online now, but in the meantime, now the electrical system in the 5th wheel has gone haywire on me...  I am left now with three working plug ins and two lights that work - one in the bathroom and the other above the computer.  At least the receptacles I plug the computer into are still working so I can sit in the dark and be online...lol.  
While I was out of touch with the world at large though, I did a lot of reading.  I don't know how I manage it since I am working between 12 and 16 hours a day six days a week (yes, this is when being on salary really sucks - it I was getting an hourly wage I would be able to retire soon!)  Anyway, here are the eclectic mix of books I have read the last couple weeks...

Raven's Cry, written by Christine Harris (illustrations by Bill Reid)
I enjoyed this book for the insight it gave me into the Haida culture and traditions.  To me at least, the history of these Native people of the Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii which translates to "Islands of the People"), British Columbia.  I was fascinated with the rich tradition of Haida art and find myself wanting to know much more now.

The Dovekeepers, written by Alice Hoffman
Like Raven's Cry, this book provides insight into a people and time, in this case the time is 70AD and the people are four women during the seige of Masada.  It tells the story of the intertwining lives of these women and is definitely a good read in my opinion.

The Good German, written by Joseph Kanon
Again, a time and place I had not given much thought to - Berlin in 1945.  This is a good story - mystery and love against the backdrop of a city devastated by war. Worth reading.

Strangers, written by Dean Koontz
I have a weakness for books by Dean Koontz and this one is not a disappointment.  A great story, good characters and development.  Difficult to put down.

Zen and the Art of Needlecraft, written by Sandra Detrixhe
The Amazon.com review says it better than I can:
"Passionate crafters know that needlecraft - knitting, sewing, quilting, cross-stitch, et al is so much more than a hobby or a way of passing the time. "Zen and the Art of Needlecraft" explores needlecraft as a means of balancing the mind, achieving enlightenment, and living consciously every day. Whether embracing the Zen principles in gift giving or creating projects conducive to spiritual growth, author Sandra Detrixhe leads the reader along the Zen path in the way that only another serious crafter can."

Fishbowl, written by Sarah Mlynowski
I would call this one a good summer read - amusing and light hearted story of some broke girls sharing an apartment.  Mostly fluff but when you are stuck in a camper with my tv and no internet it passes the time pleasantly.  

A Stolen Life, written by Jaycee Lee Dugard
A disturbing book about Jaycee Lee Dugard, kidnapped by a stranger at eleven years of age and kept for eighteen years.  A sad commentary on how an overworked system ultimately fails in protecting those who need protecting.  Uplifting in her strength and optomism.

The Panic Zone, writyten by Rick Mofina
I enjoyed this thriller, a bit complicated in characters and locations but a good read.

Cellar Girl, written by Josephina Rivera
My daughter in law is a fan of true crime stories and loaned me this book.  It is disturbing and graphic but ultimately her strength is what allows this woman to survive and see some of the other women imprisoned by a serial killer released.  A story of human endurance.

That's some of the books I have read lately - quite the list I realize and it makes you wonder how I have time while I am complaining of being overworked and exhausted and unable to accomplish much of anything.  I guess my excuse is that when I am too tired to do anything at all, I can still manage to read into the wee hours of the morning.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...