Skip to main content

Remember Me - AAQI Quilt

I have done a couple posts here and here about a lonely little 12 inch round robin block I have decided to make into two small wall quilts for AAQI.  I have the stitching on the first half done now so one little quilt is ready for binding and finishing off (the boring part!  lol
Here is what I did on this one.  In the top left corner I used a small piece of lace trim I dyed in a class.  I used trios of small straight stitches and buttonhole stitches in the Sparkles gold to attach it, added an extra scallop of lace on the top and then a dark crystal heart charm.  I wanted to bring some dark colour in to balance out the odd fabric patch near the center of the block.

I left the original seam work on the next seam, the detached chain stitches, and added flower beads, attached with gold french knots.  I added a bit more stitching and beads to the original silk ribbon motif to enlarge it. Below that, I added the phrase `Remember Me` in stem stitch.  The silk ribbon bow is done with two pieces of silk ribbon and stitched down with small couching stitches here and there, leaving it with lots of dimension.  The bow helped to fill the space between the two words.
I have already blogged about the step or ladder stitch seam I did with the last BAS Challenge. I added a scissor charm - I love charms and really have to rein myself back in using them, especially sewing ones.  I beaded a little fob for the scissors.
The short seam under the scissors is a simple combination of herringbone stitch and cretan stitch done in two shades of Sparkle.
There is a really tiny seam of ric rac held done with detached chain stitches and little straight stitch groupings.

The highly embellished seam running across the top of the dark fabric was copied directly from one my friend Ritva did with one of the BAS Challenge stitches.  Ritva's work always inspires me and I especially love this seam treatment - so much I am "borrowing" it for the second little quilt too!  Thanks Ritva!  It is constructed of Chevron Stitch with a trio of detached chain stitches on the top platforms of the stitch and three pearl beads under that.  In the hollows of the stitch are two straight stitches and more trios of detached chain under the bottom platforms.

The button motif was inspired by Brian Haggard's second book, as were the burgundy seam treatment of chevron stitch with detached chain stitches and the tiny seam of cretan stitches with the little straight stitch crosses on the top.
So, there is this one in excruciating detail for you!  I like it now and am satisfied enough to go on to the next one.  Will keep you posted on that one...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...