Skip to main content

Have you ever wondered?

Have you ever been inspired by something you see and wanted to create it in stitches but wondered how to do it?  I was up to catch the sunrise the other morning and I was so struck by the big ball of the sun peeking through the brush, I had to take some photos.

 After I cropped off all the extraneous stuff in the yard from the photo, I was pleased that the photo represented accurately what I was seeing - not always the case with sunrise or sunset photos.
 So, now the question is.... how can you create this with a needle and thread?  The trees would not be too difficult since they all appear uniformly black in front of the sun.  Creating the background is where the work would come in - a little ingenuity would be needed!
After looking at these photos for a few days I have come up with ideas I think would work.  I would paint the background to achieve the grey, yellow and orange areas.  The sun itself is the part that had me stumped.  I have finally decided that the orange layer would have to be some very bright fabric - a neon orange really.  Then it would have to tone down all around so I think that layers of sheer could be used to do that, making them progressively lighter as the got closer to the sun itself, thereby graduating the colour.By cutting the sheer, you could also get the effect of the rays coming out from the sun I think.

So, what do you think?  Would it work?  How would you do it??  It is a nice little mind challenge!  lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...