Skip to main content

Thimble Holder

Over on Stitchmap, there was a great link posted to a tutorial on Idle Hands Empty Brain to make the cutest little thimble holder!  Check it out!
This is my first attempt and I have to 'fess up and tell you I blew it - it doesn't work.  It won't close so it isn't really being held open by the thimble like it appears.  I love this little project though so I will be giving it another try.  It's a nice green project too, using very small scraps of fabric and things you would usually throw out.

Comments

Shawkl said…
Kerry,
All you need is a few more stitches on both ends of the opening. I stitched mine about an inch on both ends...and it goes back into place pretty well. I have also thought about putting a little "flap" on mine just to make sure it doesn't lose my think leather thimbles though.
Hugs!
Kathy
Marie Alton said…
It's been a while since I've seen this little treasure shared ... I had this as one of the components for my Chatelaine pattern years ago!

It got me thinking ... about why it wouldn't close ... 'cause I didn't recall having that issue ... and made several of them ... didn't even stitch it part way as suggested in the directions ... so I think the trick is in the shaping of the plastic insert. Try making it a bit wider at the centre line (on the narrow width) and taper the ends more.

I could scan & e-mail my original template if you'd like ... just let me know.

Hugs ... Marie

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...