Thursday, August 26, 2010

Arlene's Pansies DYB Block

I have finished my stitching on one of Arlene's DYB (Do Your Block) round robin set.  The theme is Pansies and I chose this lovely pieced fan to work on.  I hope Arlene likes what I have done.  Following is what I did in excrutiating detail!  lol
This business at the top is supposed to look like lace at the top of the fan.  I made diamond shapes with Gloriana Princess Petite Perle in pink above a purchased rose trim I stitched down.  In each diamond I then did a diagonal and a horizontal line in two strands of white DMC.  Then I did a small cross on top of that with one strand of the same floss.  I wanted to add a bead at each intersection but ran out of time since I was already late in mailing this off.
The first blade of the fan was this gorgeous dragonfly fabric and I didn't want to cover it up so I used irridescent Kreinik blending filament to highlight the wings.  You can't see it all that well in this photo but it has a nice sparkle.  For the seam treatments on each end of the fan I used a simple long and short buttonhole stitch in black Gloriana Princess Petite Perle.
The next blade of the fan was the pink one.  I used waste canvas to make the counted cross stitch pansy.  Under that I added some meandering white silk ribbon and attached it with clear glass seed beads.  At the top of the ribbon is a mother of pearl button sewn on with a yellow glass pansy bead.
The seam treatment to the right of this fan blade is all done in the Gloriana again.  First I did two rows of cretan stitch, creating the space in the middle.  I made a small smyrna stitch in pale green in the space.  At the top and bottom of the cretan stitches I added a clear glass seed bead and five detached chain stitches in a blue/green.
To the left of the fan blade the seam treatment is made up of a row of herringbone stitch covered with a row of cretan stitch.  The herringbone stitches are topped with a trio of straight stitches and a blue glass bead tops each cretan stitch.
The next black fan blade cried out to me for a spider web for luck which I made in one strand of white DMC together with one strand of the same Kreinik blending filament.  Hovering overtop is a purple sequinned butterfly.
The seam treatment to the left is made of a gorgeous colour of Gloriana called peacock.  I made offset semicircles of buttonhole stitch and added a small faux pearl at each turn.
Time was really getting to be an issue at this point so in the last blade I added a pale blue lace floral motif.  Bit of a cheat but you can't hang onto these blocks forever, as much as I would like to!
Finally, this is the base of the fan.  I used some leaf trim from Ribbonsmyth for this seam attaching it along the veins of the leaves with one strand of green DMC.  Here and there I added the purple glass pansy beads.  I actually really like the way the silk leaves blend with the leaves in the fabric.
So, that's it!  On to the next round robin block now...

2 comments:

Pollydo2003 said...

Absolutely stunning, love it all, thanks Kerry
Arlene

Rachel said...

Looks delightful - well done!