Skip to main content

More Fun with Buttons




I have been playing around some more with buttons and I guess what I am doing is basically decoupage.  In refining my method, I have decided that I prefer to sew the button in place first.  Then I use masking tape to attach pieces of aluminum foil under and around the button to protect the fabric.  The two I have been working on are for Carolyn's Pansy RR blocks.
This first one was done on a green button to match the colours of the block.  Since I don't have my printer out here this summer I have been limited to what images I have been able to find in some of my expendible books.  So, I found a pansy and fussy cut it out.  A layer of of the Fimo glaze went on the button and then the pansy went on top of that.  I added a couple more layers of glaze and then decided that I would like to add some glitter.  Then another layer of glaze went on top of that.  I think I like how this one turned out.


This is the second one I am working on for the other block.  I used a nice mother of pearl button from my stash and sewed it on backwards since the back was flatter.  Another fussy cut pansy was applied in the same way with the glaze.  This photo shows it with just one coat of glaze on top.  I will likely add a couple more before I am done but this time no glitter I think. 

Comments

Cathy said…
What a great idea! I'll have to give it a try. They say necessity is the mother of invention, and I guess you just proved it. Clever woman! Hugs, Cathy
Darlene said…
Fantastic idea, looks like it is painted! Thanks for sharing.
Gerry Krueger said…
These are great... I vote for no glitter but how about trying a light coat of antique glaze before the finish glaze... You need to find a good seed catalog...lots to cut from there...

Hugs Gerry K.
CarolynPhi said…
Kerry,
The pansy buttons are beautiful!!! I can't believe they're for meeeeeee!!!
Thank you sooooo much!!
Carolyn
Bear said…
Kerry
what bewdiful buttons I love them both whoohoo!
love n hugs bear xoxoxoxoxox

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …