Skip to main content

Progress on First AAQI Quilt

Well, I have just finished piecing what will be my first AAQI donation.  I found a framed petit point picture of roses at the thrift store and took it apart and used the stitching as the first patch.  I tried to pick up some of the colours in the petit point in the other fabrics I used in piecing.  The fabrics are pretty varied:  silk, moire, cotton batiks, poly and satin and I used a piece of vintage lace in the piecing.    The quilt is 9 X 12 inches, which is the maximum allowed for these little AAQI pieces.  I am quite pleased with the fan I made to add in the bottom corner.  In the photo, it is not sewn down yet but I think this will be the placement for it.  I paper pieced the fan with two irridescent silks.  Well, the work is done (the piecing) and now the fun begins (the seams and embellishments)!


Anonymous said…
WOW Kerry you are well on your way! it is beautiful! Your fan is fantastic!!! You did such a nice job. I look forward to watching you embellish it:)

Ann Flowers
Unknown said…
Very beautiful block. It could stand without embellishment. Have fun with that.
gocrazywithme said…
Love the colors, love the piecing, love the fabric! Looks like this would be fun to embellish!
Cathy said…
I love your block and especially the way your fan turned out. I need to get my butt offline and begin piecing one! Hugs, Cat
Anonymous said…
Lovely colors, Kerry. Can't wait to see the finish. Hugs, Lynn

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here:
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® ( is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …