Skip to main content

Week 42 - Deerfield Herringbone Stitch

A - Z of Embroidery Stitches 2 refers to this herringbone variation as the Deerfield Herringbone Stitch so I'll go with that name. Not difficult - just something a bit different again. Stacked rows of this stitch make a wonderful filling stitch as well. It is pretty simple and I'm including a series of photos to show how it is done.
First you work a row of herringbone stitch as usual:





Once you have your row of herringbone stitch completed as shown above, you stitch the small tacking stitches over the junctions.


Your work will be neater if you go all across the row working the top tacking stitches,


and then work your way back across the row adding the small tacking stitches to the junctions at the bottom.


And then you have the completed row of Deerfield Herringbone Stitch. Sorry I forgot to take the tiger tape off before I took the last photo but you get the idea.
So, this is the stitch for this week. I hope you enjoy it - have fun!

Comments

gocrazywithme said…
This is a pretty stitch and I've done it before not knowing it's called the Deerfield stitch. I wonder if it's named for Dean Deerfield?
Amy Munson said…
I may have to try this one in beads. Great stitch.
Susan said…
Kerry,
I am sure you have probably referred to this ? before...but is there a particular reason you use 2 rows of tiger tape at the top and 2 at the bottom? Just curious and always need some extra pointers!
Thanks,
Susan

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …