Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thrift Store Mystery - little help?

I could not resist this little cardboard box when I saw it at the thrift store - not with all the little temari balls on it! Great little box to keep something in, right?


Here the puzzle begins... When I opened the box it is full of these little items. Are they candy? Too prettily carved to be candy perhaps. Little guest soaps? Sort of small even for guest soaps. So, can anyone help me with this mystery? I am curious as to what these are in this box!


5 comments:

Pat Winter said...

I can't tell because the pic won't enlarge, but they kind of look like the ceramic type bars/stones that you add scented oils to??? Perhaps bath fizzies???? Sorry, I just can't see them well enough but the box sure is cute!
Hugs,Pat

gocrazywithme said...

Maybe bath salts or fizzies? Try wetting one to see what happens.

Hideko Ishida 石田英子 said...

Kerry, sorry very late to visit here. Those are Japanese sweets made of the most highest grade sugar. They are usually used for tea ceremony. I don't know the maker or which part of the country from. But see this site. This is of a sweet shop in Kyoto. You'll see very similar ones.

http://ufoqeeen.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-11-24T16%3A46%3A00%2B11%3A00

Try one!

Hideko

Hideko Ishida 石田英子 said...

Kerry, you might have been very confused with my completely wrong link. Here's the right one.

http://www.mino-ya.co.jp/category.php?ca_id_1=63&ca_id_2=83

Hideko

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Thank you Hideko! The sweets I see on the link are almost exactly the same as the ones I bought. Mystery solved!