Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Online Chapter of EAC
Above you will see the wonderful logo Sharon MacDonald created for the newest chapter of The Embroiderers' Association of Canada - EAC Virtual Threads! Yes, that's right, EAC has opened a new chapter online!
We had been talking about it for awhile but finally took action at last year's National Seminar in Winnipeg. We formed an executive of volunteers and started taking memberships right then and there. Now, a few months later we are getting into full swing with over 90 members so far. We are set up as a Yahoo Group and you can find us at this link.
Since we are a chapter of EAC, you must either already be a member of EAC to join or become a member of EAC at the same time as you become a member of the chapter. The membership dues for the chapter are only $10 a year and we are pro-rating that by when you join so we can have everyone renew at the same time in May.
So, what have we been doing and what is coming in the future?
- Chatting with other stitchers even when it is a blizzard like it is right now outside my house!
- Ongoing "Show and Share" as we post photos of what we are working on.
- Tantalizing Tidbits which are small projects in different techniques, free to members (like the needlewoven poinsettia brooch above.Instructions and project generously donated to Virtual Threads by Deborah Robertson of Toronto Guild of Stitchery )
- Round Robins starting up in January
- Chapter Newsletter in the works
- Chapter pins being looked into
- Play Dates - at your own pace shared experiences with different techniques - shaving cream dying is one of the ones coming up shortly. Also dorset buttons.
- Stitch of the Month program taught by Kim Beamish where we will fully explore different stitches every month
- Online workshops, the first of which is coming in February and March when Alison Cole will be teaching an original design just for us!
- Postcard Challenge
- Christmas Ornament exchange well underway
- lots more!
So, I am finding that being a chapter president is a lot more involved than I ever knew and it has been a lot of fun but a lot of work and it has been keeping me busy. Come on out and join us if you are interested in a fun group - international members more than welcome!