Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rusted Fabric Project Done - March AAQI Quilt - Jan BJP

I finished up with the fabric I rusted - I mentioned it in an earlier post while I was impatiently waiting for the fabric to develop enough rust for my liking.
 I embellished the rusted areas with gold seed and bugle beads as well as a few glass beads.  I love the way the colour of the rust plays with the glitz of the gold beads.
 I am hitting several birds with one stone again with this one.  It is my January Bead Journal Project (okay, I'm a little behind!  lol).  Also, I made it up into a small art quilt which will be my March donation to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI).  This makes my 15th AAQI quilt!  Can I get a whoop?
I love the way the back worked out too.  As you can see, I have taken to printing out the labels for these on printable fabric with the AAQI logo. 
So, how thrifty was this quilt?  I used a scrap of cotton for the fabric I rusted.  The high tech items needed for the rusting came from an old coffee can of nuts & bolts from dh's workshop.  The "rusting solution" is a mix of white vinegar and water - can't get much more inexpensive than that.  The beads came from my stash and have already been used throughout a couple other projects so they didn't owe me anything.  The binding and backing fabric as well as the fast finish trangles for hanging were two pages from an upholstery fabric sample book and it came from the selvage center.  A whole box of these samples only cost a dollar.


Marilyn said...

Gorgeous, thrifty and multipurpose. Ya done good!

Suztats said...

Oh, it looks so earthy and rich! Nice!

Bear said...

oh my oh me this is such a fun thing to do and for such a great causeL Love it Kerry just LOVE it!
love n hugs bear xoxoxoxox