Skip to main content

A Bit More Work on Barb's Block

I couldn't bring myself to mail this block off Friday - I tried but I just had to try to add a bit more and improve my performance on this.  I had some good advice from Arlene and tried to implement it. I used metallic thread to outline the edge and veins on the lace fan so it no longer disappears into the background.  I added a top row of bugle beads to the beaded buttonhole stitch seam to make boxes and added some mauve stitching within the boxes and a larger glass bead in the center of each.
Last, but certainly not least, I added the beautiful beaded heart I bought from Marie in the Hearts for Betty program.  I think it is the nicest thing on this block!  I'll remind you again that this program is the sale of beautiful beaded hearts made by Marie Alton and will help Betty Pillsbury rebuild her gardens, which were devastated by Hurricanes Irene & Lee.  You can check it out and get more information at the link above.
NOW this block is in the mail!

Comments

Arlene White said…
Kerry this is wonderful, I did say before, I think what you have added has made a difference.

Arlene
http://arlenes-crafts.blogspot.com.au/
Thank you Arlene! I really appreciated your advice and found it really helpful. I wasn't happy with the block before but now that the fan stands out a bit and the buttonhole stitch looks "finished", I am happier letting it go off in the mail.
Barb said…
Wonderful block!
Bear said…
So U should be its a lovely block and your pieces are Beautiful and I am sure Barbs going to be wrapt when her block goes home to her
love n hugs bear xoxxoxoxox
Pamela Kellogg said…
Kerry, all the metallic gold and beadwork is just lovely! Pam
Marie Alton said…
Awesome block my dear! Awwwe ... you're so sweet ... glad your wee heart thrilled you so much ... it does look grand on your creation!

Hugs ... Marie

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …