Well, Simona`s Spider block from the round robin at CQI (Crazy Quilting International) is done and will be winging it`s way home to her tomorrow! I had worked on this block earlier in the round robin so it was so much fun to have another go at it before it went home. I added a few more things since my last post about it so I`ve got more detail shots as well as a photo of the entire block at the end of this post. I added one more seam seen here. It was a bit of a challenge because the motifs on either side were very close to the seamline. So, I decided on this windy vine and added leaves on this side and that, depending on where there was room. The stem and leaves were all done in perle cotton. It still looked a bit bare to I added some pretty pink blossom beads I bought in Breckenridge, using a clear seed bead to attach each one. Below, you can see where I added a couple more things. I built a dragonfly out of beads and also added a few gold butterfly beads. The gorgeous ribbon rose is not mine - wish I could take credit for it but I didn`t do it!
In the center rose patterned patch I was stumped as to what to do but ended up adding a butterfly. I only had one wing left on my fabric in the colour of butterfly I wanted to use so he ended up in profile. I backed it with a bit of thin quilt bat, turning the edges of the butterly over it and going around it with buttonhole stitch in Kreinik blending filament. The body is made of clear seed beads attached using Fireline and the antennae are also fireline, melted at the end a teeny bit and then curled just a bit by running it over my scissor blades.
And now for the grand finale - Simona`s completed block!