Sunday, February 14, 2010

BAS - Week 48 - Rhodes Stitch Variation (Heart)

In honour of Valentines Day, this week`s Build a Seam Challenge (BAS) stitch is a heart variation of Rhodes Stitch.  This is another counted stitch so you will need to either use a temporary marker to mark your fabric, or to use waste canvas, an evenweave fabric or a piece of graph paper to help you out.


I have drawn a graph of the stitch here for you on graph paper.  The way it works is that your bring your needle up at 1, 3, 5 and the other odd numbers and take your needle down at 2, 4, 6 and the other even numbers.  So, up at 1, down at 2, up at 3, and so on.

I have also done a series of photos showing it down with needle and thread and these follow here:

















So, there is the completed stitch!  You can see from the photo where to come up to start the next stitch.  And, lastly, here is a photo of a row of these stitches worked together.

4 comments:

Bobbi Pohl said...

Very cute.

lalatinker8 said...

I was wondering if you have done the Rhodes heart over 10? I have a project that has the 6 and 10. The 10 is not working Help!

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Hi lalatinker8! You are set up so I cannot reply to you directly so I hope you see this. I managed to find several stitch diagrams by googling "rhodes heart stitch diagram" and clicking on images. Try it and I'm sure you will find what you need there! Good luck!

Toniastitches said...

Great teaching of the Rhodes Heart!
I have added your site to my Group*!
Happy Stitching!
Tonia (Waving!)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OakHavenDesigns/