Skip to main content

BAS - Week 37 - Feather Stitch (Chained)

This week I am happy to bring you the chained feather stitch. To me, it has the look of a stitch that you would find on a vintage crazy quilt. I find it very charming and I hope you do too! I've included a few photos to explain how to make the stitch.

You can make this stitch by imagining two lines, one on either side of your seam, equal distances from the seam and working between them. Start as you would to make a chain stitch by bringing up your needle, going down again very close to where you came up and taking a bite of fabric. Before you pull the needle through take the thread around the needle so that it will catch it and form a loop or what would usually be the first link in your chain.
Normally you would take only a small stitch to hold the loop open if you were making a detached chain stitch. With this stitch you want to take a larger stitch, approximately the same size as your chain stitch, as seen above. When you go down in that stitch you will want to come up again on the imaginary line on the other side of the seam, even with the bottom of your last chain.


You now make another detached chain stitch. Please note that before you form your loop you will take the needle under the last straight stitch. Carry on in this manner - your straight stitches will form a zigzag pattern.
In case this isn't as clear as it could be, there is a tutorial for this stitch in Sharon B's Dictionary of Stitches. Have fun!

Comments

Karen said…
Kerry,
This stitch looks so nice. Guess I need to try it.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...