Skip to main content

BAS - Week 36 - Raised Cretan Stitch

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to posting the BAS stitches and seams! What with moving back home from the lake and then going to Colorado for the retreat I have been pretty busy and not always near a computer. I resolve to do better though!
This week's seam is the Raised Cretan Stitch as shown in the photo above. I have made this particular one pretty wide and with the stitches close together but you can vary the stitch by adjusting these variables. In case the stitch is not familiar, I am including some photos of how it is made.
You start out by making two rows of backstitch parallel to each other and evenly spaced.


Bringing your needle up at the top of the first backstitch on one side, take it across and through the outside of the first backstitch on the opposite side. Pull your needle through, being careful to keep the thread that came across in the last step underneath your thread this time. If that is not clear take a look at the photo and you should be able to tell what I mean by the placement of the needle. Take your needle across and through the next backstitch on that side, always working from the outside to the center of the seam and keeping the previous threads underneath. Continue on back and forth in this way until you have completed the seam.
I hope you enjoy this seam and I'll look forward to seeing some photos of what you do! If you have any questions or I can make this clearer please just ask.

Comments

CarolynPhi said…
Oh my gosh, Kerry, you are so generous with your time and talents in hosting this wonderful learning experience for all of us, you don't have one thing to apologize for...

Thank you for being you!!!

Big hugs, Carolyn
Anonymous said…
Perfect timing, Kerry! I was just teaching a friend open Cretan--now she can ad raised Cretan to her sampler. Thanks! Lynn in SoCal

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …