Skip to main content

Hearts and Hands for Sendai

This is Cathy, modelling a kimono that Hideko brought as a gift to the last CQI Stitch Shenanigans retreat.  The lovely lady with the sweet smile lending Cathy a helping hand is our dear crazy quilting friend, Hideko.

Here are the four "partners-in-crime", the moderators of CQI at our last retreat.  (Left to Right:  Hideko, Leslie, myself (Kerry), and Cathy)

I showed you these photos so you could see our friend, Hideko, from Sendai, Japan.  I think it helps to put a face and name to the people of Sendai.  Kind of makes that tv stuff a little more real, doesn`t it?

At CQI, we are sponsoring a project to generate funds for the recovery effort in Japan. Our dear friend Hideko Ishida is fortunately safe along with Emiko, another stitching friend. We continue to keep her in our thoughts as she waits to hear about her family.

This project is open to everyone in the quilting community who is interested in participating , both traditional and crazy quilters. I am posting the guidelines here. Please contact Leslie privately at pinyoncreekq@q.com if you are interested in creating a block for a quilt so she can add you to the masterlist! Please feel free to utilize this post on your own blog to help in spreading the word!!!
This project will be dedicated to helping those affected by the earthquake and  tsunami disaster in Japan. As per Hideko Ishida's request, all quilts will become a part of an exhibit in Japan where money will be raised by viewing the quilts. Ultimately, these quilts may be auctioned and the proceeds given to a charity designated by Hideko Ishida, our Japanese CQ Sister! We will keep everyone informed as time progresses. This project is open to the quilting community at large! You may track details on the Crazy Quilting International blog,  or the ICQA Facebook page.

Guidelines are as follows:
Theme: Friendship and re-building of a country
Finished block size: 8 inches
Colors: Jewel Tones
Style: traditional or crazy quilt blocks will be accepted
For traditional quilt blocks, there are no pattern restrictions. The only requirements are the size and the colors. Finished size is to be 8 inches (20.32 cm). Please allow a half inch seam allowance. Colors are jewel tones. No restrictions to the type of fabric used.
For crazy quilt blocks:
-cut foundation at 9 inches (22.86 cm), piece the entire foundation.
-Baste a line at 8 inches (20.32 cm) to stop embroidering
-Do not add beads or charms past 7 ½ inches (19.05 cm)
-Zig zag edges to prevent edges from fraying.
-Add your name and address on the back of the block.
- Mark the border or back of the block with “UP” to show which side is the top
-Prefer all fabrics used be “fancies” (ie: silk, satin, taffeta, velvet) but if you have some kimono fabrics or other oriental themed fabrics in your stash you are welcome to use them.
-All beading MUST be double stitched and knotted with BEADING THREAD!!! NO exceptions!!! These items will be handled a great deal and beads, buttons, charms are among the first to begin to loosen. Embellishments – may be done by machine or by hand.
-Lace and other motifs are acceptable and must be securely attached
-Trims are acceptable and must be securely attached
-Silk Ribbon Embroidery is acceptable
-Tatting and crocheted butterflies and dragonflys, etc are acceptable and must be securely attached
-Please sign the back of your block

Please refrain from using any reference to the rising sun. This has political connotations in Japan that are not appropriate for these quilts.
If you have any questions, at any time, please just email the coordinator of this effort, Leslie, at pinyoncreekq@q.com. All completed projects will be mailed to Leslie no later than June 30, 2011. Please contact Leslie for mailing address information.
We are asking for an entry fee of $10.00 dollars for each block. This fee is voluntary and will be accrued and forwarded to either Hideko or a charity of her choosing. This is to generate funds to help Japan as much as possible. The fee may also apply to several individuals or to an entire group.

Funds can be sent by cheque, money order (payable to ICQA) or Paypal, icqa4u@yahoo.com. Please check gift for the donation. We appreciate everyone’s participation and look forward to seeing all the fabulous creations!

Comments

Laurie said…
She's so beautiful Kerry, my heart is so saddened by what has happened to her country. Is there by chance a logo for this that can be put on our blogs that could link back to the guidelines?
Barb said…
I so enjoyed the pictures and smiling faces.....what a fun group.

This is an awesome thing to do...

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...