Skip to main content

Cobi's Spider II RR Block

I have finished my work on Cobi's Spider II block and am sending it on. The first thing I did was the wisteria in the bottom left hand corner. Details and a closeup picture were posted earlier here. It was my sample sean for week 31 of the BAS (Build a Seam Challenge).
The other work I did is here in the upper right hand corner. Debbie had started a silk ribbon garden with the coneflowers and the little dragonfly charm. I added a unusually short hollyhock and a calla lily plant to complete the garden.
To the right of the garden I added a trim on the seam. There is a little story with the trim. When my friend, Ilys, and I went to Toronto we went to the Mokuba store and each left carrying a little sandwich size baggie and more than $100 poorer! This trim was one I fell in love with. It was very expensive - can't remember now if it was $35 or $65 a meter/yard but one or the other. I couldn't bring myself to buy a meter but bought the 4" sample size (which the ladies there were kind enough to measure very generously!) in the hopes I could "build" the trim myself later. I haven't got around to that yet but still have a couple inches left in case I decide to. Anyway, I have been hoarding this tiny piece of trim for a couple years now and when I saw the colours in Cobi's block I had to let go of it. To me it was a good match, colour and theme-wise. So, Cobi, not only do you have a piece of my trim on my block - you actually have a piece of my heart!


Maggie R said…
Your work is amazing.
Thanks for sharing
Anonymous said…
i will need to get more familiar with my dictionary and thesaurus, I am running out of words to use to describe your stunning and beautiful work. I love your flowers. ok I love all of it:)

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here:
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® ( is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …