Skip to main content

BAS - Week 53 - Beaded Seams

Hi there!  I have been thinking about this because I have done a couple beaded seams lately and thought it might be fun for this week's challenge.  Now what I am talking about is not seam treatments that include beads or have beads added - we've done lots of those.  This time it is about seam treatments that are only beads.

You can accomplish this in whatever way suits you - here is how I did mine. 

First of all, I made two lines of small beads on the seam itself.  This was done by using a beaded backstitch.   I found a tutorial for you at Craft Passion.  It give you the general idea and pictures always make it easier than words.  The way I do it is to bring the needle up through the fabric, string on three beads and lay them on the fabric - then take the needle down through the fabric and back up behind the last bead.  Go through that bead again and then add three more.  Carry on like that - I'll try to draw it so it makes sense.

After the two lines of beading were done, I added a third more interesting line.  In the first one below, I went through the first bead of the second row of beaded backstitch and then threaded four beads on my thread.  Take your needle back onto the third of the four beads and then thread on two more.  Skip the three beads after the one you came up from on the beaded backstitch row and take your needle through the next one.  Then you repeat the process again.  Here is the actual beading and below that is a diagram that might make it clearer (I hope!)



On the other seam I did the same two rows of beaded backstitch and then added a sort of picot edging.

I went through a bead on the second beaded backstitch row, then strung five beads on my needle and took it back through the base row, skipping three beads and going through the fourth.  Then I carried on by stringing five beads again, etc. 

These are my examples - I am sure you can come up with better ones.  Anyway, that is the BAS challenge for this week - to make a seam of only beads.  Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway Day! (CLOSED)

I am very happy to be joining in the Giveaway Day through Sew, Momma, Sew .  I have chosen to share one of my finds from a shopping trip, or treasure hunts as I think of them.  This is an antique sewing box -  I could not resist it when I saw it for sale!  Were you able to guess the item from the sneak peek earlier in the week? The box itself is fairly small, 8 inchs X 6 inchs and 4 inches high (20 cm X 15 cm and 10 cm high).  From my research it is of Asian origin. Inside the sewing box is lined with hand-painted silk.  The inside of the lid features a neat little needlebook. In the bottom of the sewing box there are more beautiful hand-painted blossoms and an attached pincushion.  I hope you are as charmed by this little box as I was when I found it and that you will enter my giveaway.  I will be pleased to mail internationally so everyone is invited to enter. To enter, visit my Etsy shop and then come back and leave me a...

Giveaway!

I am feeling like celebrating for various reasons! Firstly, this is my 100th post on my blog and that seems worthy of a little celebration. Secondly, I can now count the days on this year's camping season on my fingers! It has been a busy summer out here at the campground and I am anticipating getting home for a rest - I am so looking forward to hot showers, a real bed, good lighting and my comfy stitching chair! So, I have decided to celebrate with a giveaway! I think these are great fun and have put my name down for several and even won once so it feels like time to be on the hosting end for a change. I have decided to give away a squishie of items for stitching, embellishing and inspiration. I can't show you a picture right now because of the twist I have come up with! I'll start out with a squishie containing some fun items like an oya or two, specialty threads and fancy yarns, a silkie and a couple other things. For every person who puts their name in the draw by leavi...

BAS - Week 73 - Raised Fishbone Leaves (and Tutorial)

It took me a little while to get this one ready - lots of photos in the tutorial.  This Build a Seam (BAS) Challenge is for Raised Fishbone Stitch leaves.  With a little practice you will get much better results than I did - this was my first attempt on these as well.  For some reason I have basically avoided fishbone stitch but no time like the present to learn!  I hope you enjoy this BAS Challenge! Begin by marking your leaves on your fabric.  You will find it handy to have an outline to follow while stitching.  I used a mechanical pencil to lightly mark mine - hopefully not so lightly you can`t see them! To begin, bring your needle up at the point of the leaf and take it down again about halfway down on the center vein. Now come up again directly to the left of that, on the outside edge of the leaf. Take your needle down again just barely to the right and down from the top leaf point. And bring it up again just barely to the left and down of the point...