Monday, March 8, 2010

Debbie's Spider & Web II Round Robin Block

Well, Debbie's block is finally heading home to her in this round robin.  We had a couple hiccups and I ended up having the block back to do some "round robin angel" stitching on.  If you are not familiar with the term, CQI makes use of round robin angels, folks who stand in the wings and pick up the slack and finish up stitching for anyone when life gets in the way.  It helps to keep the round robins ticking over and is another way we have of making sure everyone gets their block back finished at the end of the round robin.  So, above you can see the completed block and below you can see a few details of what I did this go around.

For this motif, I hand-dyed some lace using Adirondack Alcohol Inks and then added several premade flowers in the center.  The seam below the motif was a double herringbone stitch done in two colours of perle cotton with trios of detached chain stitch on one colour of the herringbone.

I picked up a couple of these little beaded bees at the bead store last year at the CQI retreat in Breckenridge and finally got around to using one here on Debbie's block. 


I made this spider web using Kreinik blending filament and braid.  The spider was made with a couple of silver beads.  I am really starting to like the way these fat butted spiders turn out!  lol

Well, you can see a few more seam treatments I did in this picture as well as the small applique butterfly and the larger purple one.  The purple one was made with two matching pieces of butterfly fabric.  You cut down the center of each butterfly and then pin the wings right sides together and stitch around each one.  Then you turn them right side out again and attach them to the block in the center and use the beads for the body to cover up any of the mechanics of it that are showing.  So, you end up with a butterfly whose wings are separate from the background fabric - very three dimensional.  This is a technique I learned from Janet and I just love it.  The antennae are embroidered on the background fabric.

Well, this is the end of my little pile of "angel stitching" I have been working on for about the last month.  Now I can get back to a few of my own things that have been waiting, like my AAQI quilt.

6 comments:

Ann Flowers said...

Wow and wow. You did some fantastic angel work!! I love all the seams you did. Your spider is fantastic, the silver and the nice size rear end is perfect. You dyed the lace to fit perfectly with this block


Awesome job Kerry!


Ann Flowers

Rose Anne B said...

Very lovely Kerry and thanks for the explanation of the butterfly - I've lots of such fabric and will be pulling them out for such. Your seam treatments are so beautiful!

You are a dear being an RR angel. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I've got to try that 3-D butterfly. Most effective.
Beryl

Anonymous said...

Kerry thank you so much. all your stitching is beautiful. I haven't had any blocks witht he alcohol dyes so I will be happy to see the results close up. I love the block and am so happy it will be home soon. Debbie

Cathy K said...

Some wonderful and unique work. I love how you've seem to unite everything with your vibrant and colorful stitching and ideas. You go, girl! Hugs, Cathy

Thelma said...

Beautiful work Kerry!! I'm glad to see the web in the Krenik . I am planning on using krenick gold to do a web on my block and I can tell it will show up really well.