Skip to main content

BAS (Build a Seam) Challenge - Week 51 - Wheatear Stitch

This week I would like to challenge everyone to try Wheatear Stitch.  This was a new one on me but I think it has definite possibilities.  Those little straight stitches out to the side just cry to be embellished further, don't they?  lol

I am including a photo tutorial below for anyone else who is not familiar with the Wheatear Stitch and how it is done.  Have fun!

Bring your needle up to the left of where you want the center of your line of stitching to be.  Make a straight stitch  down and to the center, bringing your needle back up to the right of where you started.

Make another straight stitch from the top right to meet the first straight stitch at the bottom.  You have now formed a V with the two straight stitches.  Bring your needle up again below the point of the V.
Slide your needle under the two straight stitches without catching the fabric.
Put your needle down at the same spot again, after passing under the straight stitches.  This forms sort of a detached chain stitch whose top end has been caught by the straight stitches.  Bring your needle up to the left and above to be in position for the second stitch.


You can see the first stitch clearly here, with the two staight stitches and attached chain. You continue on in this manner, making the two straight stitches each time, followed by the chain, as seen below.


I think this is fairly clear - hope so anyway!  Continue on and you end up with a line of Wheatear stitch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …