Thursday, November 22, 2012

Yarn Bombing

According to Wikipedia:
Yarn bombingyarnbombingyarnstormingguerrilla knittingurban knitting or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colorful displays of knitted or crocheted yarn or fibre rather than paint or chalk.
This idea has piqued my interest...  Dare I say I am inspired?!  I am not much of a knitter and have never made it much beyond the scarf and potholder phase but I think that much skill would suffice for this type of adventure.
Some of these projects are a bit beyond my capabilities although |I suppose a person could do the bike and then just wheel it to the site and chain it there?
Some very adventurous ladies in Whitehorse yarnbombed a vintage aircraft!
Basically, any public installation seems to be fair game.  I can't help thinking ahead to next September when the Embroiderers' Association of Canada has it's Stitch in Public Day.  What could be more fun??

1 comment:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I had seen something about this longer ago and had sort of forgotten it. It really does look like fun although I'm not much of a knitter or crocheter. I could probably muster up something. Now I need to know what the Canada Stitch in Public Day is all about.