Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Notes from the Lake: Critters & Crafts


 Although this was the 4th year for the  Critter & Crafts event, this is the first time I have managed to check it out. I snuck away from the campground and arrived at the farm where it is held, 3 km. south of the Corner Store on the Milo Highway, and found myself a parking spot amid the many vehicles already there.  There were over 55 assorted vendors this year and the variety of animals and items was wonderful!
I didn't really know what to expect inside, but was very happy to find a wonderful array of exotic and domestic birds and "critters" along with the artsy-craftsy stuff for sale.  The first thing I saw when I came in was a selection of chicken and rooster pairs in some of the more uncommon breeds.

On the craft side of things I came across a display of items for sale by the Vulcan Art Society, featuring one of a kind birdhouses and garden sculptures.  I am not sure of the exact technique of these sculptures but I know it involves old t-shirts!  Upcycling at its best!  
There were piglets for sale, both regular pigs (for pork) and pot-bellied pigs (for pets).
These exotic chickens are a delight - so many types!
The emu chicks were intriguing...  What do you do with emus??
The fair-like atmosphere of the event was furthered by a vendor who had large amounts of chicks and ducklings for sale in children's wading pools where the kids and passers-by could stop and pet or hold the little ones.
Llamas or alpacas?  I have to admit I am not sure which they were but they were very photogenic. lol
The array of wonderful bedding plants, baskets and herb plants was overwhelming.


I couldn't wait to get home and tell dh there were woodworking projects for sale.  I had already decided this was a venue I would love to sell at in the future so I knew I could get him on board with this information..


Ladies from the local Hutterite Colony had a table of their wonderful home baking.  I managed to snag the last cinnamon buns for myself as well as a Saskatoon pie for dh.

This is where my money and I almost parted!  I have always had a hankering for peacocks and now I know where to get them...  I will definitely be back again and maybe next year some of these beauties will come home with me!

If you get a chance or are in the area, check out the next Critters & Crafts event - you won't be disappointed!


5 comments:

gocrazywithme said...

Wow, that looks like fun. All the best parts of a county fair and craft show in one place!

Marilyn said...

That definitely looks like a fun place to shop Kerry. As to what to do with emus? They are edible although I've heard they are a little tough but they are also used to make emu oil which has wonderful healing properties.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I have been busy stitching and got to wondering about you. Glad to hear you have not been gobbled up by the wilderness. Looks like a fun place full of good things.
Deb

Anna said...

It was a great day! This event is getting bigger and better every year! It's usually held the 2nd. Saturday of May.

(I was the seller of the birds in the first picture ;-))

Ty Marshall said...

www.prairieexotics.com

This years sale is on May 11 @ 10:00am!