Skip to main content

Bits & Pieces


 With holidays looming, I am getting a few things done up before it is time to go.  This first one was just a fun little project today - a potholder for a swap.  I received one in this technique from Ramona last year and wanted to try the chenille thing for myself.  It was quite fun and quick and the fabrics in the center that fluff out can be any old thing so it is a good way to use up ugly cottons from the stash.  It will fluff more after a good wash as well and then the effect will be better.
 This one was finished today as well.  It was "cheap and cheerful" - a quick little quilt for AAQI for this month.  I found a wonderful jacket at the thrift store awhile back made from this great batik and couldn't resist buying it even though no one in my family would every fit into a jacket that small except maybe the Pom.  I finally bit the bullet and cut into the jacket to make this little quilt.  The pattern is outlined with a mix of glass seed beads in golds that I hand stitched on after cannibalizing a necklace, also from the thrift store.  There is just enough outline quilting on it to qualify it as a quilt and it's ready to go.
 This is what I woke up to this morning.  It started in the night when these pictures were taken when dd got up to let the dogs out.
 They didn't know quite what to make of another snowstorm either!  Once again someone said the word "summer" out loud and jinxed us and this is what we ended up with.  Happily, we only got about four inches although dh's work was under a foot or more this morning.  Another snow day for him!
This is what my living room looked like this afternoon at nap time - three dogs and dh all flaked out on the couch at the same time!  lol  So, that's how I managed to get some sewing done.

My daughter, Katie, spends her summers at a different campground from the one I work at.  Her job is a little posher and so is the campground.  She works in the office and they have hot showers and other niceties there.  So, it only seems fair that I get the nice 5th wheel and she is stuck in the old truck camper, right?  I took pity on her though as she didn't think she could go through another summer with the curtains and cushions from a 76 Scamper camper in the colours above.
 We started out by dying the cushion covers and although they came out a pretty washed out red pattern, it was an improvement over the original orange and green.  The curtains were replaced with ones I made of red corduroy and some cheery red and white gingham.  Now if it would just stop snowing they could open the campground so she can go to work!
Of course, you can't have the dye going without throwing some lace in!  These are a few bits that I put in to soak up some of that nice red dye.  Not sure what I'll use them for but I'm sure a suitable project will turn up one of these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Win This Quilt!

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) is starting a newsletter! Sign up before noon (Eastern) on November 13, 2012 and you’ll be in a drawing to win “Bright Star” featured here.
“Bright Star” was made by AAQI supporter Martha Wolfersberger of Frenchtown, MT. The quilt measures 8.25″ x 12″ and it is meticulously machine pieced and quilted.
Sign up here: http://www.alzquilts.org/newsletter.html
The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative® (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer’s. The AAQI has raised more than $773,000 since January 2006.
Thank you for making the AAQI possible!

Waste Canvas Tutorial (Cross Stitch)

I was preparing to put a small cross stitch motif on a crazy quilt block when I remembered I had promised to do a tutorial on doing this with waste canvas, so here it is. You need to find a small cross stitch pattern you like that will fit in the space you have and figure out how large a piece of waste canvas you will need. Most cross stitch charts are graphed into 10 X 10 squares like the ones above. Waste canvas looks like needlepoint canvas except a little lighter-weight and is marked off in 5 stitch divisions by the blue threads. It comes in several sizes, 14 count being the most common and what I am using here. The canvas has double threads between each hole but you treat them as one unless you are doing a quarter or three-quarter stitch - they come in handy then as you can put your needle between the double threads to make the half stitch.

I allowed myself half an inch on all four sides beyond the outer edge of where the motif will reach. Center the waste canvas on the spot you…

Katie's Denim Pillow

This week saw another project done - I must be on a roll! This is a crazy quilt pillow for dd, done in denims. It was started in a round robin when she was in Brazil as an exchange student. I was missing her terribly and my online friends were so supportive and we all poured lots of love into this. I gave it to dd yesterday and she was very happy it was done. Thank you to everyone who stitched on it! First off, I have to answer the first question - no, this was not particularly difficult to embroider on. As the denim was recycled from old jeans and it was pieced on a soft piece of flannelette, the fabric was very soft. For the most part it was like stitching through butter. The only difficulties were in the piecing and construction of the pillow itself and that was because of the thickness of the seams in places. I did manage to break a couple needles on the machine. lol The two leather labels were added strategically to cover holes in my piecing as was the frayed denim heart …