Saturday, March 7, 2009

UTS Block for Lyn

Recently I had the opportunity to stitch an Under the Sea block for my friend, Lyn. I jumped at the chance to do a block at my own pace without any deadlines as there are in round robins. So, here it is! There is a fair bit of seaweed growth made by attaching organza ribbon with beads and couching down some knitting yarns with interesting texture. There is also some feather stitch plant growth but a lot of it disappeared into the background. I made some netting with detached buttonhole stitch and was pleased to find wooden beads to attach that I thought looked just like the old cork floats that would be used on fishnet. Other than that there is a bit of this and that sewn on - shells and charms, a beaded starfish, a few little plant like growths and lastly - how could a resist a Laurel Birch fish button? lol I hope Lyn likes this block - I had a lot of fun stitching it! It will be heading away in the mail on Monday.

8 comments:

quiltlion said...

WHOOOO--HHOOOOO, From Lyn doing a happy dance because she loves the block!! Lyn G

Miss 376 said...

What a fantastic block. looks like you had fun with this. I love it

Gerry Krueger said...

I love the look the organza ribbon gives ..so ethereal. I have a bunch of it and never find a good use for it... No new lamb today ..2 down 4 to go but it is soooooooooooo cold....I thought of Gary the other day when I was at Harbour Freight..

Rose Anne B said...

That is lovely Kerry I'm going to have to try this couching with beads one day!!! Now I have a couple of the UTS blocks to compare and then decide what direction I'm going to take on my block for Lyn.

Thelma said...

I know Lyn is happy! Very lovely block Kerry!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerry! Sorry to be late with this, but wanted to tell you I am loving your net with the floats on it. I swear, I think you are the most innovative CQ'er out there. Did you get instructions for the netting from a book? It looks exactly right U.T.S.

Thanks, Lynn/SoCal

kerrykatiecakeskeb43 said...

Thank you Lyn! The netting came from Judith Baker Montano's Floral Stitches - under the title "Net Stitch", appropriately enough! lol
Hug,
Kerry

Anonymous said...

I've got the book--Yay! Will be working on a UTS block later in the year--I'll need this! Thanks,
Lynn