Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Sort of Thing that Keeps me Busy...


Sometimes I seem to spend a lot of time keeping busy with no results.  This is one of those examples.  I volunteered to make the nametags for the teachers at Seminar 2015 in Calgary.  The photo above shows what I was given as a guideline.
 This is my first attempt.  First of all let me say that it was a very rough prototype!  I can explain the gingham ruffle as well.  The theme of this year's Seminar is Stampeding Stitches and everything is very Western!  So, the rope stitch around the edge and the ruffle was my attempt to "think Western".  It was a no go - the waste canvas I used didn't give me very nice lettering, the ruffle was "too much" and the rope stitch should be replaced with an actual piece of twine.
This is my second attempt - didn't bother finishing it into an actual pin this time until I got the go ahead on it. Counted thread instead of surface embroidery this time to try to get better lettering.  The designing, charting and stitching ate up about half of a day - surprising for such a small thing but there you have it.  I'm slow!  Anyway, it didn't go either - the lettering was "too hard to read" and the wording wasn't what they decided they wanted - didn't want CGNFA or EAC Seminar 2015 anymore.  Refer to the first photo  - was starting to feel frustrated.
Thankfully, my friend Jennie sent me a photo of one she designed and asked what I thought of it.  I loved it!  And so did the committee!  So, off the hook and happy as a clam to get back to stitching something else.  But this is where my hours seem to trickle away to...

1 comment:

D1-D2 said...

It was still a great effort. I like the cowboy hat in the first attempt. Maybe try whip stitching the needle's thread to give it a curve.